Char-Broil 2-Burner Gas Grill
Char-Broil Stainless 2-Burner Model# 463645015. Char-Broil LLC.
The Bottom Line
For the last several years, Char-Broil has produced a line of small footprint gas grills. Sometimes called the "Urban" grill, these little two burner grills come in a wide range of cooking systems and materials. This version is entirely stainless steel, which means a number of sacrifices have been made. Most notably of course is that all this stainless is low grade so it won't maintain its appearance for long.
The other sacrifice is in the heat output.
- Complete stainless steel construction
- Small footprint
- Lightweight, low quality burners
- Mostly low grade stainless steel
- Low heat output
- Two 10, 000 BTU stainless steel tubular burners
- 300 square inches of primary grilling space for a total cooking area of 420 square inches
- 20, 000 BTU total output from the main burners
- Electric (AA-Battery) ignition
- Stainless steel cooking grates
- Stainless steel sheet metal body and frame with fold down side tables
- Cover and propane tank sold separately
- Convertible to natural gas with additional parts
- Made by Char-Broil in China exclusively for Lowe's
Guide Review - Char-Broil Stainless 2-Burner Gas Grill Model# 463645015
In 2014 Lowe's and Char-Broil introduced the Classic 2-Burner. Small, but not a bad grill. That model is enameled black and has 30, 000 BTUs under 300 square inches of cooking space. For 2015 there is a stainless steel version that is more flash than substance. Ultimately, the problem is that to turn an enameled steel grill into a stainless steel grill without doubling, or more likely, tripling the price a number of things have to be sacrificed.
First of all, stainless steel is expensive. Of course there are many kinds of stainless steel with different ingredients (iron, chromium, etc.) and what is going into this grill is thin and low grade. The burners are good, but the rest of the grill is lightweight. Another thing about stainless steel is when it is thin and of a lower grade it discolors when exposed to high heat.
This is why this version of the Char-Broil 2-Burner has two thirds the BTU output of the older steel version.
At this heat output level, this gas grill will be slower to heat up, slower to recover its heat after the lid has been opened and the overall temperatures will be lower. Once again, this is a situation when all that shiny metal doesn't mean a quality product. In fact, it means the opposite.